Re: Creating a code free RPG using Sable (video 13), by Ebon Sky Studios

Hi Everyone,

Pleased to hear so many people enjoyed the video I posted yesterday. Thanks to everyone who has expressed an interest in testing too, its really nice to see people so excited about Sable and as soon as we are ready for creating our group of external QA testers we’ll be sure to post here and on our social media pages. Below I’ll answer the questions which have come in:
@number 346, pleased you enjoyed the video. I really like your idea of randomisation for amount of loot that can be found, it’s not possible at present but I’ll definitely add it to our list of potential future ideas. Although I like the suggestion of the location of key items moving each time a game is played, I’m not sure how I could implement something like that into  Sable, but its food for thought since I think anything which can add replay ability into a game is a good idea. I know in Entombed, that its randomisation and procedurally  generated maps are one of the elements which added a lot of replay ability to the game. As for beacons, yes this is currently possible in Sable. You can place beacons wherever you like on a map, they let off a small radar sound when you are close to them. There is also something called the ‘player map’, which you access by pressing ‘M’, this will show any key locations and placed beacons in the current area/level, it also shows their relative direction from the player (say north 23, east 14). You can also select  an item from the player map to track it, similar to how you can in swamp, whilst tracking that object you can press t for updated tracking information where it will read your current relative position to the tracked object (say north 2, east 5). I’ll maybe try and show this in the play through video that I’ll put out in the next couple of weeks.
@number 347, thanks for the post. At present it isn’t possible to have the radar sound continue to loop once you reach the object in question. The reason I did this, is I found whilst the radar sound was playing  it made it slightly more difficult to hear things like the contents of the container  you are searching, or to hear clearly the NPC’s dialog or to read a description of something you are looking at in game. it’s something I played around with quite a lot during the earlier stages of sables development to try and find the best solution, the objects radar sound cutting off seemed to work best, plus it seemed to work as a good audio queue too that you had reached the item you had been looking for too.  I think this is one of those areas that when we start beta testing Sable or put out crimson eclipse we will monitor feedback to see how well the current set up works or whether  people would prefer  the option of constant radars, since it would involve probably having to play around with the sound code to ensure the radar sound is manageable, since you are when at the middle of the object at its loudest point of the radar sound.

Thanks as ever for all the positive comments and continued enthusiasm towards the project.

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
email: i...@ebonskystudios.com
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ambro86 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : zenothrax via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dragons via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : kristijan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : The coll gamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Erick via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Werner_Katz via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sean-Terry01 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dragons via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : techmaster20 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : firence via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Naruto via Audiogames-reflector