Re: The blind swordsman - a flash audio only game

Any reference to assuming people were stupid was not meant by any comment about the manual in any way, shape or form.
If you are using NVDA you could try nvda>preferences>keyboard settings>simple review mode and unchecking that.
Make sure that you aren't using an addon or script such as kill windowless flash for that website.
Also make sure the focus is set to the correct flash object, as the site can weirdly change the focus ocasionally.

I am using NVDA 2014.1, with the latest firefox and probably latest adobe flash with windows 7.

I agree though flash objects are pure evil for screenreader users.