Re: Battle Field audiogame

It is hard for me to conceive of an audiogame related application for which Python would be unsuitable.  It is impossible for me to conceive of an audiogame related application for which Python is less suitable than BGT.

If performance becomes a problem you have an entire universe of options.  Especially if it's the server, in which case you can often just switch to Pypy and double the performance.

I have written audio synthesis in pure Python.  No external libs or anything making it faster.  None of the data science stuff.  It wasn't fast enough to be practical but it was still fast enough to be played.  If I had to estimate it was doing several million math operations per second.  That's before you bring in anything else.  To put this in perspective a typical audiogame is going to use around 100 math operations a second to move one object, but less if you're smart about it.  That gives us a rough estimate of anywhere from 10000 to 50000 game objects before getting smart about it and thinking about how to make things faster.  This wasn't with pypy either.  If you're doing a game server and you switch to pypy you will double the performance on the server side.  At that point you're easily looking at 100000 objects.  That's bigger than any audiogame I've ever heard of.

The advantage of BGT is packaging.  It doesn't offer much else at least from the perspective of someone who knows a bunch of programming languages.  It's not otherwise better in a magical BGT-specific way.