Re: Some questions about computer and sounds

Hi

I think I have a solution for a few of your problems at once, actually.

Number 1. forget renaming the zip file, instead, unzip it and then copy all the folders and files from it, and put them into your NVDA directory under the system config folder, if it's a portable version, put them in the user config folder instead, and make sure to let it replace any files it needs to, they won't cause any problems, it needs to happen that way.

Number 2, allot of the sounds that your saying can't be accessed, such as the forms mode sounds, the start up sounds, etc, can actually be accessed even with out that themes manager addon the addon just makes it easier.

Go to the NVDA directory and find the folder called wavs, in that folder will be 5 sounds, browseMode.wav . error.wav . exit.wav . focusMode.wav . and start.wav .

If you want to modify these sounds just copy them to the NVDA root directory to use as a backup just encase you mess something up when your editing your new sounds, and replace them with the ones that you want.

I don't know how NVDA will behave when you replace one of it's files while it's running if that file isn't currently in use, the best idea is to restart NVDA with the control alt N keystroke every time you replace a sound file with a new one to be safe, but I don't think it will ever crash so badly that it won't be able to be fixed by just restarting NVDA after it crashes, even if it's a problem with how long the sound file is.

I don't think NVDA would be so picky that it wouldn't accept any files accept ones that are just like it's own original files, but if it is, here is the information about the type of sound files that NVDA uses just encase, so you know what to make your sound files like if it does end up crashing it.

File Type: wav . Format: PCM . Channels: 1 (Mono) . S ample Size: 16Bit . Sample Rate: 22KHZ . Bit Rate:
352KBPS

Note: Also most of them are under half a second in length, so you may have to make your sounds the same amount of time or less, but that might not be a problem depending on what NVDA allows you to do.

Number 3. I do some sound design and could probably pretty easily help you by finding or making sounds for you, all I really need to know is what you want them to sound like so I can start, and a list of files, what you want each one to sound like when I finish making them, and what that file does in NVDA, if you can, which would help me allot.

What would also help make that go faster is if you linked to a video, or a sound file, or just gave me what you already have done so that I know what kind of theme that you want all of the sounds to have, I want to make it something that you'll like.

If you don't want my help to make sounds,and just want to do it your self, then a good website to check out is . http://www.freesound.org . and that should get you started on your way.

You will need to create an account to actually download any sounds, but the account is free and Freesound will not send you any spam emails, you can listen to files with flash player, however, by clinking the play sound link above each sound, and if you do make an account, you can just click on the sounds name after you log in on the home page and use the search box to find one, and you will be on a page where you can download it.

The site also includes search and advanced search features, as well as ways to narrow down the sound you want by criteria such as number of channels, bit rate and sample rate, sample size, username of who made the sound, and more, as well as the ability to download some sounds in zip files containing several sounds at once.

For instance, if you were looking for a pack of robot beep sounds, you would download it by finding one of the sounds that belongs to that pack, after searching for sounds  with the search box as you normally would, but instead of clicking the link with the sounds name in it to download that 1 file, you would click the pack link located near the bottom of the sounds listing, and be taken to a page with a pack that has that sound and others in it, which you can download as a zip file.

Note: sounds that aren't in packs will not have a pack link in there listing, so just download those 1 at a time.

Freesound has a an absolutely enormous database of sounds, many of which are high quality, some of which are even professionally done by studio artists and audio recording engineers, that are free to use, and all you need to do to use them is sign up for the free account and when you use them, mention the username of the person that made the sound somewhere, such as in the credits section of a Readme f ile, or a text file in a large pack of sounds, if your going to show that sound to other people, either sharing it between them, presenting with it like with a video or audio book slash audio drama, or giving it to people in something like a program such as a game or addon.

You also can't sell the sounds in any way, even if the sound is part of a finished product like a game or audio book that you made.

But it's still a really great resource, especially when you consider that just because a sound is labeled as being one thing by the person that created it, doesn't mean it can't be made into another thing, the sound of a long, drawn out activation from a car mechanics impact wrench can be part of a scene where a giant robot climbs out of an impact crater, after being hit by a missile that's actually the sound of a long close up flame from a gas burner on a stove and  several different sounds of windows and dishes breaking as well as the sound of several different loud, heavy as well as thin, relatively light metal things like hubcaps falling onto the ground, taring, and scraping together of sheet metal and construction type sounds, and the sound of an FM radios sudden, buzzing static mixed together with the sound of a spark from a faulty power cord or a welding torch, the sound that an old light bulb or TV makes right after it turns on, and several stones falling and bouncing against each other, could actually be the sound of a robots arm moving as it attempts to climb back out and continue fighting.

That's not even counting the synthetic sounds made by real recordings mixed into different, more computerized sounding things, or sounds that started out on a computer, keyboard, or synthesizer that Freesound has to offer.

O and that scene I just wrote? I didn't think it up on the spot, I made it about 2 months back as part of a larger scene, over 450 sounds went into that 5 and a half  minute video which was made by a student in my high school video class, all of them were from Freesound, and at least a quarter of them didn't even require any extra tweaking to fit into the video perfectly.

Everyone in the class loved it, and all of the sounds were of a high enough quality to be included in any audio game or audio book and be appreciated as being professionally designed, even though most of them didn't even need to be cleaned up at all, and when I showed it to a few other sound designers that are more experienced than me they told me that they thought I had used the sounds from a professional library, like the ones that sell for thousands of dollars, and that if those sounds were licensed for commercial use, that I could have sold that clip for allot of money.

Number 4: This is sort of just a suggestion to upgrade to NVDA 2014.1, it's your choice of course but there are allot of new features and some new im provements, you will also be able to take advantage of the newest versions of many popular addons, as well as run them more efficiently so that they don't take up as much of your system resources.

Note: if your upgrading to 2014.1 and you use the eloquence NVDA addon, you will need a new version that's slightly better, but also gets around the restrictions put on NVDA 2014.1 that don't allow that older eloquence addon to work any more, if your part of the NVDA addons dropboxfolder, then you can get it just fine, otherwise, you can ask for it on the forum or in a place like Klango or swamp.

Number 5: about scripting in python, I don't know how to code, but I do know that the NV-Access website has allot of resources that will help you learn how to script in NVDA and add too or make your own addons.
If your really only planning on coding in python so that you can script for NVDA, than this will be better than learning how to use py thon, because it will take less time and it won't be as hard to learn, but if you need more help, people on the forums and other places will surely be willing to give you a hand with it.

Number 6. This is just an awesome idea, by the way, this way you will sound just like the super hackers on movies and TV shows like CSI, smiles.