Game Licensing - Request for Feedback

Hi all,

First, if this is in the wrong room, myapologies. Feel free to move it.

I am in the process of designing a licensing system for future products. I have the following goals in mind:

* Players must have an active Internet connection when they register the game.

* Players do not have to be connected to the Internet when launching the game subsequently.

* It should not be possible to simply copy the licensing data between machines.

To give some more details, I was thinking of having a Blastbay account system where all of your licenses for different products would be kept. You would have an email address and password, and you would use this information when installing a licensed product on a new device to get a key. Each key would be tied to your specific hardware to prevent it from being moved around, but you will never have to see this hardware fingerprint - it will be handled behind the scenes.

I would most likely allow each licensed product to be installed on three separate machines simultaneously, and you would be able to revoke licenses that you no longer use in case you forget to unregister the game before reformatting your machine for example.

I am trying to find a balance between security and convenience, which is why I am posting this topic. I would like to get your opinions on whether this design sounds reasonable, or too annoying to deal with as an end user.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : crescent via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : haily_merry via Audiogames-reflector