Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

The U.S. can't deploy the military to keep us in our homes or anything like that, and to my knowledge never has.

My concern is only that, if you are blind and living alone, things like Instacart and such may go away temporarily.  Even in China, limited ability to move around was available.

I wish everyone on this thread would  stop downplaying the bad, and realize the difference between linear and exponential growth.  People  in authority are truly, justifiably freaking out, because anything less than what we are doing means that by the time you're personally in a position to freak out as much as they are now, it's too late for anyone anywhere to do anything.  Indeed, the reason we aren't taking stringent measures right now is that people *are* balancing the economic harm vs. the bans/quarantines.  Do you personally need to freak out, maybe not, but at least support the efforts to keep this from being as bad as it could be.

The coronavirus is around 1% to 2% death rate. The U.S. is 300 million people.  Anyone saying that we shouldn't freak out about it because we don't freak out about the flu is losing my respect because that's equivalent to saying that you're okay with up to 6 million people dead.  Even if the U.S. could force everyone to stay home and that somehow meant that everyone was home alone (as opposed to with their families), and assuming that's the entire country, you're not looking at anywhere near 6 million suicides.  You're probably not even looking at above 10000 suicides.  Yes, suicides are bad; but in a situation like this one, the game isn't winnable.  We just play the best we can until the medical establishment is able to deal with the massive influx of new sick people, then lift the quarantines and the coronavirus becomes part of our new normal, or in the best possible universe it turns out that we can develop herd immunity and it dies off in a couple years.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Lindworm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : aryamansingh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : KenshiraTheTrinity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : angel_diva22 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : angel_diva22 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : thetechguy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : aryamansingh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : aryamansingh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : LordLundin via Audiogames-reflector