Re: OCR glasses

While this is new to me, but may not be new to you, I tried a piece of software called "Universal Game Translator" the other day, and wow! It was very good.

What I was using it for was to convert Japanese kanji characters (I don't speak or read Japanese) into English text - but there is also an option for the translated text to be spoken via TTS / Speech Synthesis.

If you plan on using UGT yourself, you need a Google API key and a credit card - because while the first 1000 translations per month are free, each further thousand OCR/translations will cost you $1.50USD. So it's likely to be free, but they don't want the system to be abused. I found setting up a Google API key really difficult, even with full sight. There are ways to do it - perhaps the instructions I read weren't great.

Perhaps someone who knows more about Google cloud services could write an easy introduction? But that person is not me.

Once you have an API key, you need to rename the UGT config.txt.example or such to config.txt and put your key into it.

As mentioned, it's not easy to get going. But when it works - it does.