Strange NVDA behavior

So, my NVDA broke.  It only reads the items in the folder and their subsequent buttons.  For example, I’ll be able to tell what is on my desktop and I will be able to tab over to the notification Chevron and such. However, I would not be able to see the context menu for, say, recycle bin. I can pull it up, but when I try and arrow through it my NVDA would stay silent.  I also can’t see any items in a tree view. My up-and-down arrow keys work just fine, I just don’t get any feedback.
I tried restarting NVDA, resetting settings to defaults, updating NVDA to the latest version, rebooting windows, with no results.
I had installed WSL right before it all broke, but I don’t think that’s an issue.  My Ubuntu did download several python packages, but I’m guessing those are local and don’t actually affect my Windows environment.
Ideas on what to do would be helpful. I can’t even use my browser, the only thing NVDA reads now is the title. When I try to move through it with the tab it says chrome legacy window or unknown.