Re: Automatic Updater in Python

Thank you for the replies. I have almost finished implementing Hijackers method for handling this, and so far it is working great. However, I have been having problems finding the write code for creating a new process that is independent of the process that started it. In otherwords, I want to be able to run the updater, reach the end, the user presses enter, then right before closing it launches my main application. The code I am using seems to create a child process, and the parent process is waiting until the child process has closed.

I am using subprocess right now, here is the line I am using for starting a new process for windows, my mac code is slightly different:

                subprocess.check_output(["start", "upgrader.exe"], shell=True, stderr=subprocess.PIPE, stdin=subprocess.PIPE)

As I mentioned I have two lines of code to do this, one for windows and one for unix. Is there a better way of doing this, and how can I create an independent process rather than a child process.

Timothy Breitenfeldt

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : TJ . Breitenfeldt via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : NicklasMCHD via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : NicklasMCHD via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : thetechguy via Audiogames-reflector