Re: Using a capture card to OCR Switch games

I am happy to report that I got my capture card installedl. And it works like I wanted to and how @ross said it would. Though getting the card to work was bit a hustle for some reason. Elgato game capture software could not first find the device and it was not shown in Windows' device manager either. First we checked that the card was correctly attached to the PCI-E slot then we moved it to another slot but that did not help. Fortunately the reinstallation of the elgato software fixed the issue for some reason. But these kind of things can be very frustrating since you do not know if it is software issue or a hardware issue on the motherboard or the capture card itself.

I also found out from the Elgato game capture software keyboard shortcuts help page that  f11 switches to full screen mode and f10 hides a sidebar in the full screen mode. So there is no need to use the mouse. Here is a link to that support page in case someone else finds it useful:
https://help.elgato.com/hc/en-us/articl … Capture-HD

Though the software is not much accessible, with the help of the shortcuts I even managed to create a video with live voice commentary which I then uploaded to Youtube. (Fear not I will not bother you with it since I speak Finnish in the video.) Creating videos was not my reason for getting the capture card, but since I now have it I had to test it out. You start and stop recording by pressing CTRL r and enable / disable live commentary with CTLR l. Luckily the menu for choosing the microphone for live commentary happened to be accessible. I did not even check if the features for video editing are accessible since for my test I did not need them. For each start / stop recording the capture software saves a video file to a folder from where you can get it. By default it goes under your user's videos folder but it can be changed but I think that is not accessible. In fact for each recording two videos are created and they can be saved to different locations. One is a video export in the mp4 format and the other goes to its own folder under the game capture software's video library folder. This other file is in the transport stream (.ts) format which was a new format for me. The folder also contains some other files related to the internal workings of the game capture software and its editing features. I am telling all this in case someone else someday finds this information useful.