How to hold iPhone for video calls

Hi guys,

So I’ve just spent like an hour trying to find the answer to this question and am really astonished no one ever wrote it down anywhere.

If I want to video chat with someone, how do I hold my phone so that they can see me properly? Do I just hold it in front of my face so that I speak into the screen?

And if I want to show someone an object, do I hold it above the object?

Thanks.