Re: learning how to program will always be out of reach for me. Sigh.

Omar, well, unfortunately learning to program has to be done in certain steps or stages. You can't just open a book on programming and expect to right the next Shades of Doom or Tank Commander the next day. Just isn't going to happen.

that said, there are plenty of simple games you could probably learn to create without anything as simplistic as Guess the Number or Beep. For example, when I was learning C++ in college one of the first games I wrote was a text based version of black jack. It was rough going since I was just a beginner, but I was able to apply what I was learning in class to my game such as functions, variables, printing text to the screen using cout, and I was able to take what I was learning and immediately apply it to something I wanted to do. I think something similar might help you here.

Start with a few ideas for simple games you might like to create, and then as you read the BGT tutorials or any other programming guide try and see how wh at you are reading may apply to your game idea. I think from reading your notes above you get it, you have a fair amount of comprehension, its the aspect of application that maybe has you lost. What you need is someone to talk to, to ask questions to, as you pointed out you want to cut to the chase and want to know what does this or that do, how can you use it, and why do you need to know that. Being able to bounce questions off an experienced programmer would help in that respect.

To be honest I don't think the BGT user's guide is the best for learning to program. The problem is that it does not give a lot of examples and explanation of programming using BGT. Its a case of a programmer writing from a programmer's point of view so tends to be brief in areas where I feel it needs more explanation for newbies. So that could be a contributing factor why you are having problems where you might be better off in a class settings with an instructor, a book, and lab ass ignments, etc. So perhaps you just need more one on one help with this than some.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Omar Alvarado via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kyle12 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Omar Alvarado via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dranelement via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tward via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Omar Alvarado via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : malloc via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector