Re: Sable Alpha is here!–free to download for Public alpha testing!

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late replies,  with  this being day one of the public release, I think its fair to say its been a bit of a hectic day for me. I’ll try and answer the questions which have come in, since there’s a lot, I’ll try to keep my answers  as short  as possible (which for anyone  who’s been following the ‘creating a code free RPG using Sable’ topic on the forum over the past year, will know I’m not good at short answers hahaha). Actually that’s a good point, if anyone wants to check out Sable videos I’ve created myself check out the topic below , they are all listed in post one  on  the below topic:
https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/2687 … y-studios/
for anyone interested, my favourite video  is the last one listed in   post one called ‘Sable extra features demo part 2 - the play through’. Right, on to question answering:
-@pates, thanks for all the suggestions, at the moment the focus on the alpha build is around identifying bugs/issues and ensuring all of Sables functionality is all working correctly, rather than looking for tons of new features. , obviously though if anyone has good ideas we will listen to them, but can’t promise what will make it into Sable.
@ Jack, thanks for the continued support and comments. As for your screen reader bug, I’ve had a couple of people mention this, screen reader support is still a experimental at this stage, so it’s something I need to look into , so I can work out what’s causing the problem and maybe look at adjusting my calibration functions. Thanks for the spot, its added to my list. Also saw your second post about this too, so thanks for that extra feedback. BGT does have some issues with Sappie speech lag, I’ve actually got an idea to fix that. If you use input boxes in sable, these are something I coded in myself, that’s why the input window is built into sable, rather than using the standard windows GUI input boxes which have their own external window. In hear I got round the Sappie speech lag issue, so I’m at some point going to try implementing that into the rest of my code to speed up speech responsiveness, although until I try it, I can’t promise anything there, but I’m hopeful since I got it working so well in my input boxes
@ three blindnoises, sorry for the delay in answering your questions: with ambience, although when first setting a building or map pressing escape will set no ambience/music. Once in the actual map not selecting anything  leaves it as what it currently is. You could definitely add just a blank sound file in there for a fix for now. Maybe  for full release an option for no sound or something at the bottom of the options? What are your thoughts on that? Also saw your second question about doors to buildings, but saw someone beat me to the answer with deactivating walls. Just seen your third question, good suggestion about changing map names, that could come in handy. Ok, now seen your forth question, you’ve been busy hahaha. It might be easier to answer your building/music question off list, frop me an email at i...@ebonskystudios.com and we’ll get this sorted.
@ Greg steel, again, sorry for the late reply. panning sounds are in the sounds directory, in the folder called map sounds.
@ Gameulation , at present you can’t delete a map and you can’t resize a map once its already been created. The map resizing thing is a good idea, and something suggested by the private testing team. These are just the kinds of areas  which need  expansion, but aren’t there yet as its only in Alpha
@VazBol, , to answer your questions:
-
-Is it possible to set alternative vital statistic values to perform certain functions? can I implement a resource system for my characters  - sadly neither of these are possible but they are interesting suggestions
-     Although speed isn’t a stat in Sable, you can affect initiative  which can affect battle order, in a similar way to speed
-    Omar, thanks for your bugs,  I’ll reply to your direct email and we’ll get this sorted.
-    @ Matthew, I think you have written me off list regarding this and I am looking into it. If you are a different Matthew  , drop me an email to i...@ebonskystudios.com I’ll look into it
-    @Mojsior, , sadly one of the restrictions of this alpha build is you can’t share your games with other people. You can make videos though and share your videos, just please mention Ebon Sky Studios and Sable, also point out that this is just an alpha build
-    @scarlet, great to hear you are enjoying Sable. for the purpose of debug mode it will continue to show all classes, ust in case you have your game set up to maybe gather new players mid game, you would still want a way of testing these, which is why all classes show whilst in debug mode. when you go to play game mode, if you  have selected only one party member, that’s all that will be there in play game  mode.
-    @ an idiot , how to access the other game mode are: Play game mode can be accessed from the main title screen, you need to have set a starting map and starting player location in creator mode first (creator mode is the mode you are in when you first create a new project or load an existing project). Whilst in creator mode, if you bring up the edit menu (alt and E, select project options  and the bottom option is enter debug mode, this replicates play game mode, but with some additional features,  in here you can battle, talk to NPC’s etc. all changes in debug mode are temporary , when you want to head back to creator mode, simply head back to project options and select exit debug mode
-    @ Naruto, sorry there was an issue where the  first download link didn’t include the Documentation, if you redownload it, the documentation is now included. If you only want documentation rather than downloading the whole thing, just drop me an email at i...@ebonskystudios.com and I’ll send you over the documentation.
-    @toto, listening to your recording you are sizing the building as 0 in both width and length. I think where the confusion might be is how the sizing works., I think you are assuming you start at the central point of the building, but in fact you start at the corner of the building. So moving out to the left stretches out the left side moving upwards stretches your building northward. However if you then press right or down you are shrinking your building  back down. If you listen to the prompt each time you press a direction whilst placing the building it will say its current length and width, and you need it to be at least 5 in length and width.
-    @pates, regarding your building issue, once you have set all the building information , you need to first press enter where you want the corner of the building to be, then follow the instructions, hold shift down, then move the left, right, up and down arrow keys to stretch your building out until it is the right shape and size, then release shift and follow the instructions to place the door
-    @BGFH, with your building question you could do it either way. I’d probably personally  just use an indoor map. If you want different music  to play for different rooms you could set event triggers on doors to change the music. You can change encounter rates as an event trigger, and you could have it so certain event triggers opened up new areas with tougher monsters, but you couldn’t currently actually change enemies on an old map. Day and night cycles aren’t possible either. I can’t say what will and won’t make it into future versions, as I don’t want to over promise, so will only discuss what is currently in sable, but do remember this is just an alpha and we have lots of exciting ideas.

Finally, just want to say a huge thanks for all the positive comments  I’ve seen come in from everyone, its really great to see so many people enjoying Sable. Oh, and sorry for the long message, hopefully I answered everyone’s questions Though,

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
email: i...@ebonskystudios.com
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Naruto via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pates via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : toto via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pates via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : BGFH via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : gregsteel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : omer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Dragons via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : fluffy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : fluffy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Sevrior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pates via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Scarlet via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Scarlet via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : omer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : djsenter via Audiogames-reflector