Messapple Apple2E emulator issues

Hello there,
Recently, for some random reason, I started looking for old synthesizer emulators. I found SAM, SP0256, and while looking for Echo2 I came across this messapple thing, which is apparently an Apple2E emulator. I wanted to start messing around with it, so I got the package for mac and install the sdl library as it said on the readme file. When I ran the mess64 command, though, that's what it complained about. I apparently didn't install the library right or something. For now I'm running it through a virtual windows machine, but that doesn't work very well. The echocric disk, for example, hangs for about 10 seconds and goes back to command mode after I tell it to show me the echo lessons.
Is there anywhere I have to put the sdl library or something for it to work apart from /library/frameworks or something like that?