Re: Why do people still use bgt?

@13
I'm not saying BGT is more capable than other things, because it most certainly isn't.  For example my point from earlier about there being no good physics or networking options is as true of BGT as anything else.  Look at how many people have reimplemented collision or basic trig in it for example.

The point I'm making is that there was a time where you downloaded VB6, opened notepad, and typed.  No distribution problems.  Full 3D audio.  Tons and tons of tutorials.  Think PureBasic without memory management issues, some Python-esk properties, the BGT philosophy of making the world simple and friendly at the cost of power, officially supported and maintained by Microsoft themselves, accessible IDE and GUI stuff, and as fast as you could hope for.  Output was an exe you could pass around to your friends.  It died in part because the world got more complicated than that approach can handle, but until something like 2007 or 2008 VB6 was a big, serious technology that you could easily get jobs in, and it's still around in the corporate world.

The old "classic" developers for lack of a better word were developing in that environment.  Basically the closest you could get to perfection, even by what most people want now.  I can do everything but the 3D audio by virtue of being an experienced programmer, and I can apparently do the 3D audio by virtue of being me and being willing to put in absurd amounts of effort.  But back then it just...didn't take anything.  The market forces and everything else were right for people like Microsoft to be primarily targeting the new programmer in order to hook people on computers instead of primarily targeting the internet consumer and Netflix, or something.  It's hard to put into words.  I was there for the end of it only, but enough to get the vibe before the vibe was lost, and I know older people who remember it.  We won't get it back.

I'm not saying money wasn't important--it is, even to me.  I'd guess probably 70% money and 30% the tools suck by what the older devs were used to from the early 2000s.  But I wouldn't discount it.  You can't ever beat having multi-billion dollar corporations investing huge amounts of money in things, and with VB6 things was sighted BGT.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Meatbag via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : defender via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : NicklasMCHD via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : burak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector