Alternatives to BT Sync, any tips?

Hi,
So me and zarvox have been using BT sync for like 4 years now, and it's really beginning to show it's age. Our problem is that we already have 6 or 7 users connected to a folder we are hosting, and certain people keep reintroducing deleted files or making conflicts without them knowing it. Also, Zarvox wants to have a size limit that covers all the folders he is syncing, some of which total over 50GB.
So this means Dropbox and Google drive, and any other cloud storage option, especially one that doesn't integrate with Windows explorer, is out of the question. I would prefer a peer to peer connection be established without running through some kind of central thing first.
A while back, we tried Syncthing, but the problem is the way Zarvox makes his folder tree is that every folder inside the rout has it's own key. So if he had to make 50 keys all over again, that would be a nightmare. But something close to Syncthing, is what we're really looking for. Maybe it will just have to come down to Syncthing in the end anyway, with it's user and key authentication stuff...
We also considered a network drive or FTP, but the thing with that is, Zarvox, or whoever is hosting it, has to keep their computer on at all times just so you can access the folder's contents. That isn't a problem if we can get it to work, especially as some kind of backup solution.
So, if there is anything you can suggest, please let us know. I feel like we should have moved to something else much earlier...
Thanks for reading.