Re: The Synthizer Thread

Thanks for the explanation. Clang 9 should be sufficient--I thought 10 was a hard requirement.

Regarding 5.1 setups, I snagged a Vizio '45 5.1 soundbar on Amazon for $250 or so a while back. The bar itself is the most complicated bit, but it sits on my desk in front of my monitor and takes up very little depth. The wall speakers are 1X4 inches or so, and the sub has a flat profile and can either stand on its side or lay flat under furniture. The sub is also wireless, so you can position it away from your desk, then hook the rear speakers into that. There are command line utilities and Python APIs for controlling the thing. Sound quality isn't great, but good enough for my purposes.

Anyhow, I know that costs money and takes effort, so I'm not saying go out and get one. Just noting that this setup takes up far less space than the 5.1 receiver and more traditional system I have in the living room. If you've got enough desk space for the 2X2X45 bar, and about 2X12X18 for the sub either on its side or flat on the floor, soundbars might be an option. Amazon also sells smaller Vizio bars, but I went for the 45.