Re: How Did You Guys Learn to Code

I think finding something as an end goal that you want to achieve is really helpful.

For me it's this idea of VR, for you it might be washing machine firmware. Don't think it really matters.

Break it down into smaller chunks, and hack away on it.

Think of a chair: It's got a frame, which is made up of a material, then it's connected together with screws, or rivets, or welds or whatever. It's got a flat surface that you sit on, that could be wood, or more metas, or broken glass (if you're into that sort of thing). It usually has a covering, which is stitched or stapled or glued around the edge, then it may have a back, which is more frame-like stuff, possibly covered in more material stuff.

Point is, the whole world is made up of modular bits that form cohesive wholes. Bits can be re-used: bikes, cars, trucks, trains, fire engines, and unicycles all have wheels. Think of the world, and the things you're making in terms of these little bits, and then you can start to break down your coding problems.

I read a thing in an objective C book (I never finished learning objective C, in case you care). The author said how their young son was routinely confused by life, and didn't let it bother him. The author asserted that as we get older, we feel more clever, because we are confused less. They postulated that that wasn't necessarily the case, that adults simply avoid situations and ideas that confuse them.

So try and be a child. Be happy with your confusion. Revel in the fact that every time you solve a problem, the grey blob in your head forms new connections, and you've just made yourself that little bit better at something.

Also, and I know this one sounds a bit daft, but for me it's essential: if you have a partner that understands, that's a massive help! My wife knows nothing about programming, and doesn't want to, but sometimes when she gets the impression that I'm struggling, she'll ask me what the problem is. I explain it to her, as briefly and as unboringly as possible, and it actually helps a lot, to stop thinking like a coder for a while. Also, she accepts that sometimes I go into my head for days, and hardly talk, or forget to eat, and she's cool with that. I'm extremely lucky, and I hope that I repay the favour. But point is, coding is a very insular activity: I read somewhere you need a good 20-30 minutes to "get into the zone", and it's extremely easy to pop out, necessitating another 20-30 minutes to re-enter the zone. If you plan to start (or keep hold of) a relationship, having a person who understands can be so beneficial. Just make sure you do your bit too! smile

Anyways, didn't mean to give relationship and coding advice all in one post, but there you have it. Hope it helps... or something.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hektor via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : bhanuponguru via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector