PS4 vs. PS5, should I hold off?

I have a big birthday this year--turning 40 in a few months--and I could probably use that plus the likelihood that it won't be safe to do anything big to score a PS4. smile Research seems to point to a holiday release for the PS5. Question is, should I wait for that?

I'm not asking from the "technology marches ever onward" perspective. Technology will always be better six months from now, so it's easy to get caught up in that cycle.

But presumably we'll see more accessible games in the coming years. How much overlap is there in games released for the PS5 and PS4, or even the Xbox X/Xbox One? Is there a long window of cross-compatibility, or do things generally switch over quickly? I've never bought a console until my Xbox last year, so I genuinely don't know.

If buying a PS4 means I have a few more years of games with slightly longer load screens, that's fine. But if The Last of Us is, well, the last of the accessible games that the PS4 is likely to see, then maybe I should just hold off until the PS5 so I have a few more years of runway. Thoughts?