Re: monthly chat june 2020

Well, my lady is back from hospital now, and the scan was fine! apparently getting irradiated for six weeks actually did what it was supposed to.
Thanks everyone for the good wishes. I'm feeling really relieved and extremely tired as well.

@Mirage, I'll bare that in mind, mostly my mudding has been with CR and Erion at the moment, though I've been thinking of starting a new char on tempest season as I had a great time with that, but then my lady just started the radio therapy I just got out of the habbit of playing.

@Dark eagle, Yep, Dresden files were silly fun, albeit I confess after some of the really crappy things Seanen McGuire has done with October Daye I'm appreciating them more. Really, I don't think I've ever encountered a series which managed to turn it's main character from a very likable, heroic, screwed up person in the first book, and then slowly have her turn into an arrogant insensitive arse hole, who does things like have a go at her boyfriend for getting PTSD after going through a traumatic change, then, when he turns up to save her, making him basically have to crawl to her to forgive him, or having a complete strop at her surrigate father for not! telling her her mother had been with someone else before she was with October's father, something he'd promised not to reveal in a world where promises come with big magical wammies, and once again having the poor man basically have to beg her forgiveness whilst she got to be vial to him!

I haven't read any charlse straus, but I've read a lot of hard Sf in my time.
I must confess though, my attitude to hard SF is rather like George R R Martins which he mentions in his short stories collection dream songs.

So long as the world is consistent and the story well told, I honestly don't care whether we have scientific realism or not.

This isn't to say I'm a fan of occasions where writers suddenly just pull a new bit of magic; or for that matter some magical psudo scientific tech out of the air to solve the plot either, but to me, this is more a matter of just telling a good story with tension and no deus ex, than necessarily sticking to scientific accuracy.

For example, the climax to return of the Jedi works because Luke refuses to give in to hate and fight his father, even though he's watching his friends in the rebel fleet get slaughtered , and in the end Darth Vader can't bare to see his son tortured and killed.

compare this to the conclusion to an entirely unrelated film in which a certain evil person first wants to possess the main character, then kill her, then have her kill him, then have someone else kill her, then kill her himself, and the main character randomly suddenly gets a mysterious sort of omni soul power and blows him aaway!

That is exactly what I mean by inconsistant, in character, in motivation, in relative strengths etc.

Anyway enough pontificating for now, this soapbox is starting to creak and I need cooooooofeeeeeee

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mirage via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Juliantheaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mirage via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dino via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : star fire via Audiogames-reflector