Re: Open-source complete game in BGT

Jaybird, I certainly see the merits of such a project. Although, people would still have to understand basic coding skills with BGT else the example would be confusing for a newbie. A side-scroller is a fairly advanced program, and even with comments if someone doesn't know programming they'll be looking at the code and going, "what is this?"

At the moment I have a lot on my plate, but I do think the idea has potential to help get new programmers started on programming. That said, I've been thinking for a long time rather than use a proprietary tool like BGT why not write an open source side-scroller or something like that in Python so games can be developed for Mac, Linux, and Windows using a freely open and well documented language. BGT is a great tool, is a powerful tool, but unfortunately is only useful to someone using Windows and who intends to develop games for Windows. As Mac has a rather large community now, and there are a few Linux users l ike myself around it seems that proprietary tools like BGT is not the way forward. Not if we consider that as accessibility spreads to more platforms more and more games and applications will be required for those new platforms.