Re: i hate how some devs want attention

Here is my summary of the facts as I see them:

1. Tunmi is trying very hard to involve himself in a lot of places to learn how to code. This, in and of itself, doesn't mean anything else. He's getting involved with a lot of stuff. He's not prancing around and puffing up his chest and bragging. He's just sticking his fingers into a lot of different things. You know what? Ambitious people do this sometimes. That doesn't make them arrogant. It makes them ambitious. Faulting someone for being ambitious, or ascribing arrogance to that person without cause, says more about the accuser than the accused.
2. Tunmi's code is kind of messy and insane in places. He's still learning, so this is sort of understandable. He'll learn, or he won't...but trying to lay blame here is just silly. Constructive criticism can be a good thing, but there's a key word hidden there: constructive. If you're bashing, that's not constructive and, yet again, says more about you than the one you are attacking.
3. Simter, unfortunately you're pretty outmatched here. You are infamous for saying stuff, then claiming when people get upset that it was just a joke. I want to explain something to you, and I want you to listen; even if you don't like me and think I have it out for you, this is good advice (I suspect others will agree with this). Just because you don't mean harm doesn't mean you haven't done harm. You don't get a free pass just because you have an oddball sense of humour that insults people. You don't get to shout, "Hey, man, I was just joking!" every time you piss someone off or offend them. That's not how life works. I'm not sure if you're too young (or perhaps arrogant, yourself) to accept when you've stepped too far, or if you think all the fault is with people who misunderstand you, but either way, this community has pretty eloquently explained why they're getting tired of you. If it's one person saying it, maybe you shrug it off. When it's a whole pile of people, many of who are articulate, intelligent and reasonable, and don't have a personal grudge against you...well, I think you should pick up your ears and listen. As a community member, I frankly wish you would disappear for awhile. I don't intend you any harm, but you've become extremely tiresome and repetitive, and I would really rather you just go away, find some maturity and return when you've gotten your head on straight.

Moderation:
I am not issuing any punishments at this point, since we've generally stayed away from personal attacks. But this thread is yet another dumpster fire that's been left to smoulder too long. I haven't been available since Friday afternoon, or I'd have gotten involved long before now.

One thing I will say, however, is that I believe it is long past time we had a chat on list to see whether or not Simter's behaviour falls under community failure, and thus may deserve either a warning or, more likely, a watch period. I do not feel that levying a response like this purely on my own initiative is reasonable, but now that I've returned from my weekend away, I'm going to be adding this to the growing body of evidence which I feel might support further action. Unfortunately, I do think it's warranted, but mine isn't the only voice that decides such things.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : targor via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : targor via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pool via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Meatbag via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : soren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : electro via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : soren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Meatbag via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jimmy69 via Audiogames-reflector