Re: bgt mirror is back

Okay, two things.

First, everyone forgets that we had plenty of audiogames before BGT.  If BGT hadn't happened we'd have had plenty of audiogames without it.  I would go so far as to say probably the same number of audiogames.  The only people who think BGT is somehow adding a lot of value are very new programmers.  Non-new programmers may use it, but usually with the understanding that it's super limited and that they could move on if they wanted, just they've got all this old code.

Second, let's talk about camlorn_audio to understand why people might want their projects taken down.  Once upon a time I did an audio library called camlorn_audio, for those who weren't around back then.  But it wasn't ever finished, and it couldn't be made to work beyond a certain point.  I gave up on it, left it around for a while because hey, it's an open source project on GitHub, no harm.  No one can really use it because it was my first C++ project and I didn't understand some important fundamentals and OpenALSoft is kind of lame, I told everyone that, but why bother removing it?  Surely no one is going to insist on trying to use the thing that crashes at the drop of a hat without fixing it first, which is so bad that even the author avoids it?

Then I started getting e-mails because it kind of worked except not really, asking me for help using it.  This never happened with Libaudioverse because Libaudioverse could never really be used with BGT or any of the other toy languages people like to adopt, but camlorn_audio got just the right amount of popularity that I think there's even a couple people still using it.  But the problem is that even telling people "sorry, I'm not maintaining this" takes time and gets tiring.  So after round 5 or 10 of "I specifically said this isn't usable"  I did my best to eradicate it from the face of the earth, and I don't regret it.

BGT has bugs.  BGT has a bunch of programmers who would probably love to ask Philip things.  As long as BGT is up, Philip is going to get some volume of people asking questions, or trying to convince him to maintain it.  I don't know if him getting a bunch of requests like that is why he doesn't want it up, but this idea that just leaving projects out there is free to the author is very false.  And it's especially false in a community like this, where you've got a bunch of new programmers who ignore "Don't use this" or "This is unmaintained" like there's no tomorrow, and who think that authors are obliged to never, ever move on just because you want to use it.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Gaki_shonen via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Zarvox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : targor via Audiogames-reflector