Re: a sable project that i will be working on when sable is released

Probably half the forum users here spell my name wrong. I'm used to it.

Redfox, I play manamon because frankly I bought the thing and now want to get what I see as my money's worth. You'll note that I did acknowledge that manamon 1, especially, is problematic where loyalty to source material comes from. Manamon 2 definitely feels a bit more its own thing. We know where the source material came from, but there's plenty of new things to play with. That said, I'd rather have seen something even more unique than manamon overall, with less similarity to pokemon with regard to story, maybe types, certain moves, etc. I think it's absolutely okay to have a creature-capture and creature-battle game in the spirit of pokemon, but manamon definitely walked the line and sometimes jumped over it.
But in both manamon 1 and 2, I didn't get a chance to weigh in during development, or I'd probably have told Aaron the same thing. Do your best to be respectful of your source material if you're going to use it, and distance yourself where possible so that the experience is very much its own story. Fred's effort here feels pretty thin and uninteresting, which is why I spoke up.

So I suppose you can call that hypocrisy if you want, but that's not personally how I define it. I've also read fanfic, and some of it, as I've previously stated, is amazing stuff. I'm not against all non-original material by default. I just think it needs to meet minimum standards, and needs to be respectful, and I...just don't see that in post 1. Not even close, really.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : singing butterfly via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : fredd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : JayJay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : JayJay via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : redfox via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jimmy69 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dragons via Audiogames-reflector