General Languages: Threading, it's uses, and it's dangers.

I'm in a bit of a situation where I feel like, with out testing, that I may need threading to reduce strain on the processing, or at least, illiminate some issues that may arise with the amount of objects being handled at once.
I've used Threading once in my life, and that was only in theory. I've been warned to be careful of Threading by a couple people, however, I'd like to learn more about it to see if I should use it in the situation I am in.
Are there any good resources on General Threading Techniques, or, more specifically if I'm lucky, Python Threading?
Thank you.