Re: Language learning.

Hi there,
When cheating is allowed, then I am fluent in three languages. tongue
Slovak is my native, Czech is understandable without any problems for native Slovaks and English is my thirdone.

Actually, I'd say, that tutors or interactive lessons don't really matter. When you was a kid, did you have a tutor to teach you your native language?
I guess not, or at least I didn't. smile

The true way, how to truly learn a language is simply to work with it. Get yourself bombarded with input, and your brain will get everything into order. Just like when you was a kid.
There is actually even a learning method consisting purely of this approach, called mass immersion:
https://massimmersionapproach.com/table … art-guide/

There is one flaw to this approach though, and that is, that it takes quite long time. Regarding the site above, if you were practicing it for 5 hours actively and 5 hours passively each day, you'd become fluent approximately after two years.
At least for me, that's simply not possible.

So, you can take shortcut on the way, which will take you there much faster. My primary weapons are books for grammar and shadowing for listening / pronounciation.
And the rest is just about working with the language.

I have learned English in this way. I didn't shadow it, but I knew the grammar from school and I was working with the language naturally, as basically all good scientific and technical materials are in English these days.
On the other hand, we were taught German in the school, I had two hours per week synce my fifth class on elementary school, and four hours per week on middle school.
That means, 7 years in total, with a tutor. 7 years of totally wasted time.
I had always the best grades, but do you think I actually can speak German?
No, definitely not. It was not problem of our teacher, she was actually very good in German, working as a translator for court.
The reason was simply that I had no use for the language, so I didn't acquire any wordbase beyond what we had in school, I didn't work with the language, so grammar also disappeared very quickly, and thus any language knowledge was totally destroyed.
My only luck was, that when it comes to languages, I am very good at saying basically anything without using complicated grammar structures and any words beyond the most basicones. It may sound more or less weird, depends on how complicated is the thing I want to say, but it's technically correct.
So, i have passed my classes, with quite good results, but in practice, I don't know anything. An interesting sign of the school system, which is used to determine quality of people, when you want to get a job.

So, as I said, just work with the language, have fun and you'll be fluent in no time.

Best regards

Rastislav