Re: You are stuck in the dungeon of despair!

Omar Alvarado wrote:

BK III does include a camera, activated by pressing and holding g, then you use all arrows to look around with it.

Just so Game Dev is on the same page, the sort of camera in BK3, MTG's platformer, Audio Mario, etc, is nothing like a video camera. It's sort of like a cursor that you can move around at tile resolution (audio game tiles are huge, because the same kind of resolution that visual games have isn't that useful), and it will make a sound to indicate what it hovers over.
So, for example, in Mario it'd make a brick sound or a pipe sound, if it's moving over the respective objects. The sound is played relative to the player. Even games that would be 3rd person in video are fairly first person in audio, even if the controls distinctly are not.
I classify these cameras in "cane'dar", because they're a lot like reaching out and touch ing what's at a given spot.
(No, I don't remember if anyone introduced the "accessible camera" terminology before me. Yes, I'm kinda wishing I'd called it something else. Accessible Cursor, maybe? Or just Audio Cursor? Maybe camera would have caught on in spite of that? *Shrugs helplessly*)