Re: developing a singular verses plural grammar system in your game

Yes, but how versatile a system do we generally need? If we're writing a text adventure or a MUD, that's different from occasional, predictable messages and sentence structures. Basically, when is the most generalizable solution necessary? I just plain haven't encountered the problems you mentioned, even though you are correct that they're problems, because my use cases are sufficiently limited that imperfect solutions work.
Rereading the OP, though, I'm not sure how relevant what I've said really is, especially since there's the implication that a solution should be both readable and expandable if the project continues to grow.