Re: Free cPanel Alternatives.

@24
The problem is that most of the people looking for free hosting don't know why this is a bad idea.

@34 and all your other posts

My job is in a position where if we got hacked once by someone who meant harm and it could be proven that it was our fault, our company would be over.  SO were the two jobs before that.  SO are all the jobs of my other tech friends.  Doing incredibly stupid stuff like misconfiguring ports would count as our fault, and we'd be sued for millions.  The consequences are less for you.  But you're hosting other people's stuff, so realistically you're at least looking at a mob of angry people if anything should ever happen.  But being hacked once and only once has ended many, many companies due to the lack of trust, and many, many more due to the multi-million dollar lawsuits.

Obviously you don't have those sorts of agreements in place, but the question you should be asking yourself is if you're okay taking someone else down because you're ignorant.  And if the answer is that you *are* okay with this possibility, then you are in the very small number of people I consider actively dangerous and unethical by choice.

Here's a realistic scenario.  Someone gets an e-mail account through you, uses it to have incredibly kinky cybersex with their significant other thinking that it's secure and private, then someone hacks you and leaks it to get at them.  That destroys someone's life, and I promise you that "hey, journalist, did you know blind people want to have sex with fish" would totally end up in a newspaper if someone tried it.

The ports Quanin are listing are obtainable with nmap trivially and, if Quaanin can get them, then all your stuff is accessible over the public network.  GO learn what a unix domain socket is, or at least configure them to be localhost and actually try testing accessing from outside your vps to make sure it's as locked down as you think.

But seriously.  It's all laughs and games until it's not.  And to be honest I'd consider you a lost cause, because at the moment I have no reason to believe you're not a hot-headed 13-year-old or something, but I'll try for the sake of the other people who will get dragged down with you one of these days.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : redfox via Audiogames-reflector