Re: Your choice? Would you restore your vision?

@75 - Yes yes, you're totally right, the social complexes express themselves in a lot of different vectors which is what combines to create a blind person; it's not just how blind people are treated alone nor is it accessibility alone; although these two elements are actually part of the same thing and we see them differently to help understand how the particular part functions (kind of like zooming in on part of a system). After all the stereotypes of blind people are built on what they are perceived they can do.

When you talk about the difficulty of building a society for blind people, I think you need to remember - we're building on top of a sighted society, and thats the reason why it's so hard to achieve so many of the tasks. If it was a blind society for example, things like transportation would be managed in ways that make sense to blind people, that don't require the use of a non-existent sense. In both of these scenarios, the hard part is trying to change.

For example in the case of CAPTCHAs, because we live in a sighted society, it doesn't even occur to most people that there should be a blind accessible version.

In my opinion a lot of this has to do with our relationship with technology in general, its just that disabled people of all types are impacted much more than the main population. What I mean by this is that when you interact with a CAPTCHA, you are forced into a sort of interaction-contract between you and the application. You need to follow their instructions, but the instructions didn't accommodate blind people. Why can't you interact with the information given by the CAPTCHA in a way that makes sense to you? This isn't me trying to have people solve these questions, rather these are the kinds of questions I think we should be asking in regards to technology, accessibility, and disability. Why in most cases are we forced to put up with the developer's decisions in the first place?

The more I think and research this problem the more I realize that it's a much bigger issue than accessibility, but accessibility is a point where a lot of the problems coalesce because disability creates a ton of end user experiences that have to be funneled in a very narrow funnel.

To bring it back on topic, I guess what worries me is that because we live in a sighted society, we contextualize all our social interactions around sight in some way, and blind people are obviously left out of that, which leads to the destruction of their way of living through forced sightedness, when we should have the ability to choose whether or not we want to be sighted or blind, and we should be able to allowed to adapt for both.

@76 - I agree.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : chrisfaelnar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : MyDearWatson via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kjsisco via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector