tips on panning a looping object in bgt

Since this is a development room, I thought this would be the appropriate place to ask for help with this.  If this isn't, then let me know and I can repost the topic.

I wanted to try and pan a looping object in BGT, but after trying to get the sound_pool's play_extended_1d function, I couldn't get the sound to actually play, I believe it was one of the values that I'd used to try and easily make the looping object pan when the left and right arrows are held down.

I used code very similar to this:
sounds.play_extended_1d("sounds/hoveringobjectfilestring.wav",0,hoveringobject_position,lefthovering,righthovering,true,0,0,0,true);
Basically, I substituted the values with 0's where I didn't have one, but the object was then inaudible and I forgot to test it to see if the code was executing properly.

Could anyone suggest an easier method of doing this?

Also, on a related note, is there an easy w ay to tell what sound slot is assigned to what object?  or is the way I'm using fine for the majority of cases.

If any further clarification is needed then please let me know and I'll see what I can do.