Re: Does NVDA take up a lot of ram in win10?

@4
App support in NVDA doesn't cost us anything, even for really old apps.  Those parts of the code aren't usually active unless the app is open.  Overall in programming, "we support x" is free if you're not using x.  NVDA only turns on support for old apps when it detects that they're running and, often, only when they're focused for the first time.

@6
As established, Windows doesn't actually emulate the processor for 32 bit apps.  All that's handled is a 32-bit to 64-bit conversion for calling the Windows API itself.  But through a whole bunch of black magic that only people who have gone as low as assembly and OS kernel stuff can even begin to talk about, the cost, if any, is fractions of a percent at worst.

@ethin
Pretty sure 32 bit apps get access to at least AVX and AVX2 with a couple limitations and a different encoding scheme.

I don't know why Intel keeps improving 32-bit support, but so far as I know we don't yet have any desktop-level instruction set extensions which aren't available in 32-bit mode.

Also, ironically, 32 bit programs can actually run faster.  Much faster in some cases.  Look into Linux's X32.