Age Old Question: Virtualy Routing Audio

So I want to do some gameplay recordings with commentary for a project, and the plan is to do it in Reaper so I can do all the glorious processing I like. I have the hi-fi audio cable and rearoute asio bridge installed, but can't seem to get it to work properly, because the device never registers any sound I send to it through reaper. VAC is super confusing... anyone have any other thoughts? Or at least how to use VAC, since apparently everyone in the world has got it figured out but me? lol