Accessing resources on my home network from the Internet

Hello,

I've been thinking about ways to allow access to various devices on my home network from the Internet. I could open ports to the Internet, but that doesn't seem like a very good idea, especially if I intend to use things like Remote Desktop, NVDA Remote, SMB file shares, etc.
My next thought was to use SSH remote port forwarding to forward traffic from my Linux VPS to an RDP or NVDA Remote server hosted inside my private home network. I've done this to host peer-to-peer games on networks where I can't configure the firewall. The advantage here is that I wouldn't have to open any ports on my home network, just a port on the server. The traffic should also be encrypted, so as long as I use a randomly generated password, I should be fine.
My final thought was to use something like PiVPN to create a virtual private network and allow my computer to act as though it was part of the network even when I was somewhere else. However, I've heard that this uses the tun protocol in OpenVPN, which supposedly creates another subnet. I appreciate any input from those of you who are a little more experienced with computer networking.