Re: error updating pip packages

The only things I could think of that would cause this are third-party antivirus programs or a faulty hard drive.  You're probably going to just have to live with it.  Virtual environments might help if only by moving the directories to be next to your projects.

When file operations fail due to permissions but only sometimes, that's not normal.  In the sense that if you asked me to write a program to do it I couldn't, save by saving the file somewhere different on every run.  There could be a bug in Pip, but I doubt it given how widely Pip is used, and failures like this in CI would have people screaming bloody murder.