threads in python

Hi.
I have created a multi porpose bot with carters team talk api. But i have 1 mayor problem. When i call bot.handle_messages() every thing i write afterwards doesn't execute. This seams to be because the methot blocks the rest of the code from executing. I have already tried a few multi treading methots like thr=threading.thread(target=sync_srv,args=()) and then thr.start() but the function still doesn't load. (for you interested, sync_srv is a function that is soposed to make it so you can make moderation on multiple servers at once, and this methot syncs these servers, and then you can pm the bot with stuff like /ban or /broadcast if you are in it's trusted list.) I also tried the old __threading module and the start_new_thread function but it just didn't start as well. Is there any thing else i can do?