Re: ai in my file player can only add 256 items to a list before crashing

I have no idea what's wrong, but I can promise it's not Python at fault.  As usual with these sorts of threads, you need to be more specific: you haven't actually said what specifically you're doing or how specifically it breaks.  You're just explaining one function (and not very well, I'm afraid) and saying somehow it goes wrong, maybe I'm expecting too much from Python?  Is this a media player? Are you trying to automate something else?  What's the exception? Etc etc etc. are all important details you haven't given us.

I'm also pretty sure that the number of files doesn't matter.  You're playing around with randomness.  This means that if you find bugs, they'll happen randomly, to oversimplify the math.  Shifting some code around can change how fast that happens just because it changes how likely the buggy path is to be hit.