Re: Looking for good Windows music player/podcatcher

As others have said, Foobar2000 is a good all around solution, probably the most customizable and compact you're going to get.
There are plugins for most everything you'd want. From Youtube Support to DSP to commandline decoder wrapping to Discord Rich presence to podcatching.

VLC comes with a lot of this out of the box, whereas Foobar is more light-wait and minimalistic by nature. format not supported? Plugin. Want a feature? Plugin for that too.

Another plus to Foobar, you can set keyboard shortcuts for basically any action in the app and hide the interface. Nice to be able to play files without a window unnecessarily popping up to tell you that a file is playing.

Make sure to grab Classic User Interface for a better all around UI.

I set it up once a couple years back and have been using that same configuration ever since. That having been said it's been a good while and I hear VLC has gotten some new features since I last tried it.