Re: Inquisitor's Heartbeat, updated version available

@Dark: I guess the next logical question is, "And why exactly aren't people allowed to bugger up their computers on a fairly regular basis if they choose to?" lol

No, I understand what you're saying, and agree that Supernova has an all-right system--not perfect, but all right. The question is simply whether or not the dev is committed to it or not, and I just can't countenance the idea of a maximum of five devices and that's that. Surely, piracy cannot claim so many victims unchallenged?

As to the future of Apple and game activation generally, well, nobody can possibly know what comes next. There's no theoretical reason why a developer can't maintain their infrastructure, and indeed, in an ideal world it would be the right course of action. The question is, having seen what we have seen, which do you bet on the most actually still being aro und? Apple may be many things, but small and unaccountable isn't one of them. smile Of course, you're right that Apple effectively balance forced obsolescence against the benefits of a unified development and distribution platform, and at least for iOS this has very bad potential in case Apple decide to stop supporting some hardware or API, but again, the question is whether it isn't actually worse than a company going under and rendering the games unplayable. My feeling is that this won't be a problem on the Mac, where the App Store is but one channel of distribution and the author can just release the game as abandonware as you describe it (or as, presumably by-now unsupported, software in another channel), but on iOS it will prove to be potentially life-threatening to the game's existence at some point after the game's abandonment, but not before it becomes u navailable for download by those who purchased it. On the other feeler, between the game's release and its demise, it will be available with a few taps on any device you own. I don't like Apple's control freakery either, but it's really a question of priorities.

Anyway, as I said, it's not so much the conditions of the activation system, merely the certainty that I can unlock my games going forward. If I had to sacrifice a particular piece of hardware to a game in perpetuity, such that I had to maintain it in order to unchain my game, do you know, I might actually do it. It's being held hostage without a guarantee that I find particularly disagreeable.