Re: blindness and overclocking

20, I agree with you regarding performance penalties. What many don't realize is that the older the processor, the larger the performance penalty. That article compared coffee lake processors, but say, an arandale sandy bridge/ivy bridge haswell processor, the difference is so dramatic as to make the system unusable. However, while disabling hyperthreading on Intel would fix some of the vulnerabilities, the reason OEMs and Intel haven't done it is that it exacts even more performance losses. Because all of this impact I think these microcode updates and patches should never have been made manditory in the first place. As I had stated earlier in this thread, you can set a registry key to disable all of the patches except a few Microsoft decided you can't disable. This brings some performance back, but not all by a longshot. This is why I chose my next machine as an AMD. The performance penality is alot less, probably even more if you disable the fixes, and newer vulnerabilities aren't being found as often on AMD.