Re: Mechanic Ideas

You know another thing comes to mind. A good CQC system. CQC being close-quarters combat. I always liked the Metal Gear Solid systems, because they managed to keep it between one and two buttons. I like that from PS2 onward, they accounted for the pressure sensitive nature of the controllers to perform certain actions. It was also somewhat context sensitive depending on whether you had a weapon in hand, how close you were, how much pressure you used, and whether you were approaching from behind or not.

You'd see stars orbiting above their heads. The more there were, the more time you had to GTFO before they woke up. I can't remember if they were Zs when you used tranquilizers or if they remained as stars. Basically the quick jab jab, kick would knock a dude on his ass and he'd be dazed with like one or two stars, so you had to move to get away from him. Even though you may have escaped his vision and hearing, he'd still remember that someone kicked his ass and he'd sound the alarm, so you had to be in hiding. If you took a bit more care, you could choke someone out with two outcomes. The quick one where you slam square over and over again was how you could kill. But the subtle one where you tapped a few times then held square at a certain point would choke him out. When he was unconscious, you could just let him fall. He'd be out then, and not just dazed like the knockdown attack, but properly out. You had a bit more time, and you could use that time to drag him to a place where they wouldn't find him.

The other games had some more advanced things that could be done, and I don't remember them all. But what I'm driving at is that a system like this could be good. It could still offer multiple ways in which to deal with someone, some of them lethal, others not. I've never really seen an audio game go there before, and it might be neat to see it in action.