Re: Why do people still use bgt?

Almost nothing in Swamp needs sample-accurate looping.  If something did, keep it as wav, otherwise mp3 is fine.  As far as I know vb6 only supports mp3 (really: DirectX 7 or whatever it is is to blame).  But in theory he could i.e. call Synthizer when that's more mature, it's not like there aren't options.  I get where he's coming from, but people have trouble getting the game because it's that large.

Swamp is one of the best things we have, but it sucks for lots of reasons, and so many of them are sad.  A big contributor to it being paid is that you could create too many characters for the server in an afternoon, passwords aren't secure (and based on the limitations I suspect stored in plaintext), etc.  Everything I see negative about Swamp is that Swamp was written from the BGT mindset of "I know it and it's good enough, nevermind anything more".  And I get it: Aprone isn't a coder by trade, time is limited, etc.  But if you want to know where the endgame of BGT-style what I know is good enough grr coding, the endgame of that is you've got an online shooter and it mostly works but you can be brought down by someone just creating a bunch of characters and doing nothing with them, tons of weird random lag just because, and you go something like a year with a bug where logging off duplicates your inventory.  I strongly suspect Swamp stopped seeing major updates because Aprone is discovering that whatever choices he made limit him strongly now.

And that's the thing. The mindset by the pro-BGT people finishes the project.  It takes more work than it should, it doesn't help build an ecosystem, but if you try really really hard it gets done.  Then that's it.  The end.  You're at the project is finished and my code is too inflexible to ever do anything more here wall.  You might be able to push it but each update takes more effort than the last and maybe, maybe you buy a couple months before touching it is insurmountably difficult and all you can do is add new levels, forget fixing bugs in the engine, forget new features.  Forget any grand V2 plans.  It's done in the bad way.