Re: Kenshira Plays: Audio playthroughs and demos of mainstream games

Hi, everyone! Its a new week, which means its time for a new game! This week, I'm banging my head through some of Guilty Gear Judgement on the psp.

Since we were talking about how lacking fighting games were in audiogames last week, and how audio fighting games tend to be just vop it style reaction affairs, i thought it was finally time to semo how a mainstream fighter really plays. Eventually, I will demo a fighter with stereo combat sounds, but today is not that day. Still, this is a very playable game, with adjustable options such as difficulty, sounds, music, voices, buttons etc. The game has sounds and/or commentary for everything from blocks to recoveries to dashing to different finishers. Lets take a look at the game then, and what it has to offer.

Guilty Gear Judgement is a 2 game compilation that was released physically and digitally for the psp in the late 2000s. The game contains Guilty Gear Judgement, which is a lengthy 2d side-scrolling brawler with several modes of play, cooperative play, tons of unlockable characters, and a lengthy story for each character. The second game in the compilation is Guilty Gear XX reloaded, which is a 1 on 1, 2d fighter with over 20 unique characters, and several gameplay modes, with Guilty Gear Judgement acting as the story mode to replace the one missing in this version of XX. The Guilty Gear series of games is heavily inspired by heavy metal music, so both games have a smashing  soundtrack that rocks harder than any of the music  from capcom or snk games combined! If the music isn't your thing, you can turn it down, or disable it entirely, and the same is true of the voices and sound, with each having 150 levels of volume. For this demo, I tried to adjust it so that the music isn't intrusive and the action can be heard clearly.

Although Guilty Gear games have been around since the late 90s, I did not get exposed to the series until I got Guilty Gear Dust Striker for the Nintendo DS. Although that was by no means a horrible game, I wasn't too impressed with the 2 on 2, item heavy combat. However, when I picked up Judgement, I was absolutely in love with the gameplay, and was sorry I had not known about the main games sooner. Everyone knows about the fighters from developers like Capcom, SNK, Namco and Midway, but up until recently, the dev and publisher behind the guilty Gear franchise, and the games that came after it had remained relatively obscure. I only found out about them from hours of gaming research on my free time at the college library when I had no work left to tend to.

The game came out at such a perfect time for me, because i was just getting into Japanese rock bands like Asian Kung-fu Generation and I even had a 2 gb memory stick full of their stuff. Thus, the guilty gear soundtrack fitted perfectly with the music I was into at the time. The devs probably knew that people would want to enjoy the music outside of gameplay, so they included that a ility in the sound options for each game, and if you press square on a track, the game will automatically switch to the next track once that one was done. I loved that each track did not loop endlessly like other games, and that every track is its own song with a beginning and an end.

Eventually, I bought a digital copy of the game from psn so my brother and I could play cooperatively, and boy did that reduce the load times! Even going back to these games so many Years later, i still found them incredibly enjoyable, so much so that i kept playing long after the recording and editing process. Unfortunately, Guilty Gear Judgement has long since been removed from the psn, but i still recommend playing it however you can. The game is mostly voiced in japanese, but the story text in Guilty Gear Judgement does not auto scroll, so you can use a third party application to read it. Additionally, there are cheat codes to restore your lives, health and special to help you along your way through Judgement tthat you can look up. Finally, if you still wish to purchase a similar game in the series, you can still find other guilty gear games on the psn, including xx accent core plus for the psp, xx accent core plus r for the vita, and guilty gear sign and guilty gear revolater and its sequel for both ps3 and ps4, along with many other related content, even the original game from 1998. I may cover another game in the series in the future, we'll see..

In the audio demo below, I will fight my way through guilty gear xx reloaded as far as I can without dying with Sol Badguy, then I will do the same for guilty gear judgement. The demo is 40 minutes long.

Lets rock!

I hope you guys enjoy this week's game. Next week, we will visit a game that you can still find and play with others online. Stay tuned to this thread to find out what it is.

Until next time!