Re: Erion MUD: MSDP, Crafting Updates, and More!

Hi,

Ok, so ...some constructive feedback.
This is already a really good start in my opinion. There's music, ambiences, sounds for various things, but I think we can do better.

- First, I'd say that rather than toggling a single sound off and on, it'd be better to categorize them so people can choose to toggle all music, all ambience, all combat sounds etc.
- Depending on how much time and effort you want to stick into this, you could make the soundpack more immersive by adding individual sounds for skills. That way, you can gag the lines of text that skill output and have it replaced by the sound, either completely or partially.
- Right now, the soundpack is over a gigabyte, even though there is only 153 sounds in it. That is because all sounds, including long-lasting ones like songs and ambiences, are in .wav-format which in this case I would call a bit of a waste of disk space. While it is true that compressing the audio would make them lossy, a high enough bitrate for these mp3's or ogg files should be more than sufficient for game sounds like this. I do not know the limits of MSP, but I do know mush is about to work with these formats and other packs, like the yugioh soundpack over at https://github.com/timtam/yugioh-soundpack which, although slightly non-standard, does manage this.
- When you do things like ambiences, music etc., like someone here already pointed out, it feels a bit more natural when these ambiences and music follow the area or roomtype you're in. If you can hear crickets while you're in a cave that is a bit odd.

I'd say keep up the good work, see if you can incorporate any of this going forward smile

Zersiax

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : fredd via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : rafalko112 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : jescat277 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Zersiax via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : jescat277 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Zersiax via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : camlorn via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Orin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Shinobi via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : fredd via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Charles via Audiogames-reflector