Re: anyone using Node for back end web development?

I'd go Ruby or Python, not Node.  Node is popular and you can find lots of learning resources, but it's kind of the worst of all possible worlds, and the primary reason it became popular is because lots of devs already knew JS.  I can't speak to Ruby on Rails, but Django just gives you a bunch of stuff out of the box like backend control panels for admins, templating languages, etc etc etc that Node doesn't really have good equivalents to unless you go hunting for all the different pieces and figure out how to put them together yourself.  And you can avoid the async programming stuff with adequate performance for what you're probably thinking of doing.

Python is more popular than Ruby but people who know what they're talking about have told me that Ruby on Rails is basically the same thing, so for the "this is easy, I just turned on some switches and got a dozen features" approach it should also deliver.

And to the people who are likely as not to be all "but Node is fine": work has code that we copy between all our services because if you throw exceptions in Express endpoints they hang forever, and I've found bugs in the ORMs (plus, none of them give you easy migrations either).  Yeah it's got learning resources, but "hunt for the libraries you need on NPM and haha there's no ways to tell if it's a good one until you try using it" is not at all a good experience for someone new in my opinion, and async programming is *way* harder than people here seem to be giving it credit for.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Diegogaribay via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dragonlee via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Diegogaribay via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Zersiax via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dragonlee via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector