Re: Discussion of the 2020 American Federal Election

@260
I don't have sources, but I actually agree with ironcross here.  Kind of.  Problem with AOC is that she's the kind of person we probably want in politics, at least to some extent, but she's not at all suitable for how politics actually is.  She's good at calling out people, but I don't think I've ever seen her present a solution with nuance or even anything particularly practical.  If we were in the alternate universe where basic good ideas actually got off the ground, sure, but she's the "why don't we solve homelessness by giving everyone houses" type, and while that would in fact solve homelessness and be a net good, that sort of idea requires that you actually be able to convince people who don't already agree with you, and her entire idea as to what convincing means is to scream louder.

But uniquely among politicians, she comes from a middle class background, a lot of what she called out at the beginning about how middle class people can't even get into politics was apt, and as far as I know she's literally the only person at the federal level who will come out of this and have to go back and live in the real world with the consequences of whatever she did or didn't manage to do.

So my feelings are kind of mixed.  Because in 10 years, whether she gets more experience or not, her ideas are going to be popular and the problems she talks about are going to suddenly be really real to a lot of people.  And I think that "you lived in the real world, and when this is over you have to go back there" counts for a lot.  But at the current time, her approach just isn't really applicable, it's not getting her anywhere but with a large line up of enemies, and by the time people are on board with what she wants she's either going to be out of politics or she's going to have all those enemies lined up to block her and that will be the beginning and end of her effectiveness.

I'd love to link you sources, but I think that you have to be inside U.S. politics and watching her for a while to see it--she's, like, always 90% of the way there.  And no one is going to do a news article about how someone is always 90% of the way there but can't actually get past the last 10% that actually makes your ideas effective and gets people on board because that's  a super boring story to write.  I like a lot of what she stands for, and I like that someone is actually calling out other idiocy, but that doesn't make an effective politician or get things done, so...