Re: Vast Horizon

You know, I don't pretend to know much about the setting. But one of the comments in #43 got me going. They said it's better to build the activities around the story than vice versa, and they're quite correct. In fact, there's so much you could do with the story. It seems that in your universe, humanity is recovering from some sort of apocalypse, and that opens up so many possibilities. What about, instead of flying off to far off unexplored space to recover weird alien things, you try to explore through abandoned space stations and ships? After all, xenobiology and other fields of study are far less important than, say, resource aquisition or economic growth when it comes to recovering civilizations. Maybe this apocalypse was caused by an enemy of some kind, judigng by the fact you have combat. They could have robotic forces still left on some planets which combat oriented players could try to destroy. Realism wise, why are you tugging asteroids from far off belts right back to planets or stations? For a recovering economy, it would be far more efficient for crews to go out and mine the asteroid in situ, then either send the resources back by unmanned ship, ender's game style, or fly them back in cargo holds. Consider that things like mining should, in my very limited understanding of physics, be a bit easier outside of a gravity well. In fact, why not go sc and have the mining be done in belt stations of some kind? Outposts set up in fields of high asteroid density that could oversee mining operations and send resources back to the system's planets?
Now there is one big problem with this. I hardly know anything about your game. But even going from the little bit of setting I was able to find, I came up with these things after about three minutes, while reading the posts above.