python users please save me

Hello everyone. I hope you all are having a grand day. I have a question for anyone that knows how to code in python.
So I am just starting out with python in a computer science class at school, so I am working on different labs. Well the lab that I am working on right now requires me to get info from a .jpg file, as well as to manipulate it. However, I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get the python terminal to focus on the file. I have looked for the answer on other sites but nothing I seem to find works. If anyone could please help, if anyone could please just tell me how to get python to focus on this jpg file, then I would really really appreciate it. I have been stuck on this for almost a week and just want to make some kind of progress.