RedditForBlind a windows app to use Reddit blazingly fast

I finally published a beta version of the app I made to browse Reddit. I started this project after having a hard time browsing Reddit because of few landmarks and streaming of the listings.

The point of this app is to be able to browse and use Reddit really really fast with a screen-reader.

Disclaimers:
- This app is entirely designed for screen-readers, if you have low vision and look at the screen, you might be confused with what is going on.
- This will mostly have bugs and can crash
- This app currently has a limited feature set that might not cover your scenarios
- I created the project as a console application which doesn't give full control on the keyboard. This means that typing and reviewing text might not be as smooth as you would expect.
- Documentation is currently minimal

What it does right now:
- Browse posts, comments and replies of subreddits (with auto complete for subreddit names)
- Search a subreddit
- Reply to posts, comments or replies
- Open posts, comments, replies and create a new post online
- User config folder that allows to change user setings, such as remap keyboard shortcuts

If that sounds appealing to you:
1. Go to www.redditforblind.org
2. Download the app, it's at the top of the page. If you use Jaws, download the jkm file and place it in your Jaws folder.
3. Unzip the app and run the program
4. You can press F1 to go to the documentation that tells you how to quickly get started
5. In the app, press enter to grant permissions to the app to use your reddit account on your behalf. Note that to make things simpler and because I'm lazy, this token will ask for every possible permission. However, the token will only be store locally on your computer. It will be unencrypted, you can revoke it on the reddit website if it gets compromised, but as long as no one gets access to your file system, you should be fine.
6. Press R to switch to a subreddit of your choice, type it and press enter, you can also press Tab to auto complete.
7. Use the arrow keys to read posts, comments and replies. You will hear a sound when there are replies you can expand.

This should get you started, press F1 for more details, such as how to reply, create new posts, search a subreddit, etc.

So many features I want to add, main ones being:
- Support for different sortings
- upvote, downvote
- view your subscriptions
- Change templates of posts, comments, replies to display other fields such as author, date, replies, upvotes, etc.
- Be able to create multiple tabs and move between them like a browser
- Save a tabs state of the app for startup, say your favorite configuration
- Create a home tab that would be the central hub for many actions
- Recreate the app with a technology that would allow full keyboard input or use something like Tolk to try to optimize the typing experience
- Right-click menu on items or contextual help or tutor mode
- Give the user the ability to specify which permissions the app will be granted

Anyways, let me know what you think, if it's useful to you at all or not really. I made that mainly for myself, because there is so much stuff on reddit. I didn't officially release the app yet, this is more of a beta.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Origine via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rings2006 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rings2006 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rings2006 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Origine via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Origine via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rings2006 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Origine via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : sid512 via Audiogames-reflector