Re: Pitch Black: A Detective's Demise

Man that would be cool indeed, having to move quickly away from enemy windup sounds, then run back in to strike when you heard a sound indicating that their guard was down would be great.  Creating unique timing and repetition patterns for different enemies, and scaling up difficulty as the game progresses would really make things feel more like a mainstream game.
You'd obviously need to be able to move faster in combat, but limiting the player by causing an exhaustion cooldown timer if you move that way for an extended period of time could help make it even more interesting.
And this wouldn't necessitate getting rid of the peripheral enhancer either, as you could still use it to dodge projectiles by throwing your self quickly to one side, with enemies adjusting to your new position after a couple seconds so that if you did it too early or dodged the wrong way, you'd still be hit.
I'd also love to see an HP and or limited lives system, even if the latter is only in a hardcore mode.

This would likely require allot of combat code rewriting and a ton of AI expansion though so it's probably a pipedream, but I really think this would be one of those things that would separate the upcoming Dusklight from most of the other audio games that have come before it.

When I think of Tripple A I don't just imagine production quality from the writing and cinematics point of view, but also from a mechanical one.  So when I hear "the first Triple A audio game" this current combat system is not what comes to mind at all.
And while this is obviously not the main game, the Pitch Black team has said that many of these concepts will make it into A Dusklight Story in some form, and that worries me because I've seen this type of thing before.

That said , I also realize that the main focus is on story and setting, not combat, but mainstream narrative driven games tend to either go turn based or use the type of combat I'm talking about.
If this requires another funding drive or extra time to even be considered, I'm personally all for it.  I would hate to see such an ambitious project get hamstrung by something like this.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Computergamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Erick via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : PitchBlack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Diego via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Diego via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Diego via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : animal metal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : mata via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : zargonbr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : PitchBlack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Juliantheaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Diego via Audiogames-reflector